I absolutely adore Brussel Sprouts, those tiny little cabbages. Historically, I’ve been roasting them in the oven with just a sprinkling of olive oil and fresh garlic. With the advent of the air fryer, that became my new, go-to method…that is, until I came up with this recipe for the InstantPot.Just like the Air Fryer (GoWise and Philips Avance have found their places on my kitchen counter), the Multi-function cookers (GoWise Multi-Function Cooker and InstantPot are my two favorites) not only cuts your cooking time down to a fraction of the time, in the heat of the summer, it isn’t heating up my kitchen. All this, and it also retains all the nutrients as nothing escapes. And oh, the flavors and textures…..absolutely to live for!
This is an easy recipe that you can adapt to your own taste preferences—i.e., if you don’t like heat, reduce or skip the sriracha sauce and red pepper flakes. You can try substituting possibly a green chili sauce, a Thai curry paste, an Indian curry, an Italian seasoning blend, Chinese five spice, or similar, which would retain a robust flavor without the heat. Remove the smoked paprika and liquid smoke and replace with a tablespoon or so of golden mustard. Be creative. Make it your own. Enjoy!
So, here’s my new favorite way to prepare Brussels Sprouts
Linda Voorhis - Veganification
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts
- ¼ cup chicken-style or beef-style vegan broth
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Place Brussels sprouts in InstantPot*
- In mixing bowl, whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, sriracha sauce, garlic, sesame seeds, paprika, red pepper flakes, sea salt, onion powder, black pepper, and liquid smoke.
- Add marinade to Brussel sprouts, and toss to coat thoroughly.
- Close lid on InstantPot.
- Turn the steam valve to “sealed”.
- Set InstantPot on Manual High for 3 minutes.
- When it beeps that it’s done, use the quick release to relieve the steam.
- Remove lid, and serve.
- *If Brussels Sprouts are rather large, you can cut them in half. If you choose to keep them large, increase cooking time to 4-5 minutes.
- Calories 662
- Total Fat: 24 g 36.92%
- Saturated Fat: 4 g 20%
- Cholesterol: 0 mg 0%
- Sodium: 4427 mg 184.46%
- Potassium: 3843 mg 109.8%
- Total Carbohydrate: 92 g %
- Sugar: 22 g
- Protein: 35 g
- Vitamin A: 222.06%
- Calcium: 438 mg 43.8%
- Iron: 16 mg 88.89%
*An important aspect of sharing original recipes is to give proper credit to the author(s) of the recipe(s). I hope that you enjoy using these recipes and making them your own; but please do so with that integrity in mind. With much gratitude. Linda