Jazzy Vegans – We’re ALL the Rage!
I started watching the Jazzy Vegetarian shortly after the first air date back in September 2011. I was immediately taken in by Laura Theodore’s effervescent personality, and easy-to-prepare recipes. Oh, and one of my favorite musical genres is jazz.
So, when I received my copy of her newest cookbook, Deliciously Vegan, I immediately began reading it from cover to cover. It is far more than a cookbook, it is a book with a host of recipes, and it certainly has a plethora of amazing ones. Laura’s first chapter is her “Favorite Fundamentals”, including some of her very own top ten lists—such as, Top Ten Essential Ingredients, Top Ten Cheese and Cream Sauce Substitutions, and Top Ten Two-Ingredient Recipes.
The Tell Tale Sign of a Loved Cookbook
My copy became immediately dog-eared as a result of my wanting to recreate many of her recipes in my own kitchen. Easy to do as most of the ingredients in Laura’s recipes are typically stocked in my pantry and refrigerator.
Some of my personal favorites that I’ve already enjoyed include:
- Baked Potato Tofu Scramble (this recipe takes the age-old vegan tofu scramble to a whole new level!)
- Pineapple and Coconut Green Delight (not being a fan of green smoothies, personally, this one has turned my head around)
- Polenta Pizza Bites (make a double batch of this one because many won’t make it to the serving platter)
- Pineapple, Tomato and Fresh Basil Salsa (the quirky pineapple brightens up the tomato and basil)
- Banana-Pecan Coffee Cake (quick to put together and excellent for using up those bananas that have been sitting on my counter)
- Rice, Artichoke and Purple Cabbage Salad (make extra brown rice tonight, and you have a very quick, healthy, nutritious, and delicious dinner tomorrow night)
- Carrot-Chickpea Sandwich Spread (okay, admittedly a toss-up between this and the baked potato tofu scramble for my #1 fav)
- Rajma – Hearty Kidney Bean Stew (brought back joyful memories of my Uncle Buddy’s kidney bean and potato stew)
- Clementine-Cranberry Cake (with Clementines being in the height of their season, this was one of the first recipes I made. Absolutely delightful!)
- Lemony Maple-Cranberry Muffins (this recipe grabbed me right at its title. Lemons, maple syrup, and cranberries – match made in heaven – and all in a muffin).
Be sure to follow Linda’s weekly Veganifcation blog for great restaurant reviews, new recipes and Veganiventures.