My Vegan Roasted Tomato, Grilled Corn, and Quinoa Salsa is a great little dish to serve with your next Mexican themed party or just for a night of chips and salsa.
Linda Voorhis - Veganification
Roasted Tomato, Grilled Corn,and Quinoa Salsa
- 2/3 cups pecans, smoked and roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons Liquid Smoke
- 1-1/2 cups tri-color quinoa
- 3 cups unchicken broth
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoons Whole Fruit Persian Lime Olive Oil, separated
- 2 pints grape tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 cup plus 2 tablespoons Sicilian Lemon white Balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons unrefined dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 ears fresh corn-on-the-cob
- 1-1/2 cups microgreens or sprouts
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh tarragon, minced
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
“Smoke” the pecans
- Add 1/4 cup water to the liquid smoke.
- Toss liquid with pecans.
- Allow to sit and marinate for at least 1 hour, tossing frequently.
- Drain pecans and pat dry.
- Toast pecans in dry sauté pan until dry and fragrant. Do not burn. Remove from heat and allow to cool in a bowl.
- If using whole pecans, roughly chop to keep in larger pieces.
- Rinse quinoa under cool water in a fine-mesh sieve.
- Add quinoa to large saucepan.
- Add unchicken broth.
- Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer, cracking the lid slightly ajar.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until done. When done, quinoa should have become somewhat translucent and have a tail; and water should be absorbed.
- Remove from heat and put into a bowl to cool. Fork to fluff quinoa.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whisk together 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, dark brown sugar, and dried oregano.
- Toss tomatoes in marinade.
- Line cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spray with olive oil.
- Put tomatoes on cookie sheet, and roast in oven for 10-12 minutes, or until done. Tomatoes should take on a slightly charred tone, and begin to pop.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Preheat cast iron grill pan on stovetop, or preheat outdoor grill.
- Remove husk to remove silk.
- Using 1 tablespoon olive oil, brush the ears.
- Grill until corn is slightly charred and just cooked, but not soft. You want the corn to retain some crunch.
- Allow to cool
- Cut corn off cob and add to tomatoes.
- To the bowl of tomatoes and corn, add the quinoa, pecans, micro-greens or sprouts, red onion.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the 1/3 cup olive oil, 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar, tarragon, mustard, salt, and black pepper.
- Pour dressing onto quinoa mixture, and gently toss to coat.
- Best served at room temperature.
Linda Voorhis, Veganification